What Is The Root Chakra And Its Meaning?
The Root Chakra, the first of seven chakras, starting at the base of our spine and moving to the crown of our head. It is the chakra that grounds us to our higher self, keeping us protected and secure. It is the space where Kundalini, latent divine feminine energy, lies dormant. Being the first of seven, it is closest to the Earth, reminding us of our origin, asking us to trust, deepening our intuition and staying in our power.
Providing us with the most basic support, the Root Chakra reminds us that our instinctual needs are vital to feeling safe and grounded.
Where Can You Find The Root Chakra?
The Base or Root Chakra is the 1st of the 7 Chakras, located at the base of the spine, situated by the perineum and pelvic floor. Are you having pain, sensitivity, disconnected from your sexual energy or experiencing discomfort in this region? Your Root Chakra may need your love and support.
It represents our most primal needs and desires, our safety and security. The Root Chakra supports our need for physical and emotional safety, and life force! It is our foundation, the place from where we can then address our more complex emotions and higher thinking. Crystal healing for the root chakra can be as simple as placing these crystals on the lower back, or simply placing them in a pocket while gardening, going for a walk or doing anything that connects us to our primal roots, especially in nature.
The Root Chakra loves the natural world, reminding us to stay grounded no matter where we are!
Are you feeling uprooted, not safe, ungrounded, not supported and unable to trust your intuition and your surroundings? Working with the Root Chakra may bring back the balance that is vital to this earthly experience.
What is the Root Chakra symbol?
The Muladhara, also known as the Root Chakra, is portrayed by a four-petaled lotus with a square in the center.
If we break this down into its essential pieces, it reveals its divine support of the human body.
- The Four-Petaled Lotus: representing the 4 Nadis channels, channeling Prana throughout the body, merging at the Root Chakra.
- The Square Inscribed In The Circle: representing a firm foundation supporting the body and our connection to the Earth.
- The Downward Pointing Triangle: representing Kundalini and pointing us back home towards the Earth below.
- Sanskrit Symbol: representing ‘seed’ energy, grounding us and connecting us to the Earth.
What is the Root Chakra color?
The root chakra is symbolized by the color vermillion red. Not surprising, as this rich red connects us with our vitality, inner strength and instinctual roots.
Root Chakra Stones & Crystals
- Bloodstone- The rich red and black colors of Bloodstone are naturally in sync with the Root Chakra. Bloodstone connects us with our Mesopotamian ancestors, having been seen as a source of vitality and physical energy for thousands of years. With this stone in our presence it is easy to tap into our highest power.
- Tourmaline- Black Tourmaline has been used throughout history as a stone for protection and as a shield against negative spirits and destructive forces. This internal security is ideal for the Root Chakra and it is one of the most commonly used crystals to provide stable, grounding energy, cleansing the Root Chakra.
- Obsidian- It’s a gorgeous grounding companion and doesn’t think twice about helping us see through falsity so we can walk in the light of knowledge, wisdom, and authenticity. With a stone, like Obsidian, helping us trust our instincts, the Root Chakra feels stronger and in response we will feel more stable, supported and fully equipped to deal with life.
- Onyx- This stone is thought to be a powerful protector that sharpens the senses and one’s physical responses. Onyx is a perfect stone to connect with the Root Chakra, deeping the desire for safety and providing a source of physical energy.
- Red Jasper- A symbol of physical endurance, energy, and life itself. Its beautiful red color resonates strongly with the deep red color ray of the Root Chakra.
Root Chakra Healing Journal Prompts
These amazing stones want to work for you . Allowing them to guide, protect and support you is one of the most divine ways to honor these crystals. As you lean into your journaling ritual, adding crystals may strengthen your experience, bringing you closer to your deepest desires and visions.
Before you begin your writing process, pause, take your stone in your hand, ask it to serve your highest good, allowing your stone to connect with you, settling into a peaceful space, trusting that you are supported in the universe.
May we suggest the following prompts to work with your favorite Rook Chakra stone…
- In what areas of my life do I feel ungrounded?
- Write a letter to yourself offering forgiveness for something you’ve done in your past.
- How can I make my day better than yesterday?
- What are three things I want to accomplish today?
- When I feel tired, what self-care practice can I practice to feel reenergized?
- What do I need to feel supported right now?
Root Chakra Affirmations
Working with your crystals may be one of the sweetest experiences in self care, allowing them to help you heal. It can be as simple as pausing with your favorite Root Chakra crystal in hand and repeating a supportive affirmation to help strengthen, or using your stones in your meditation practice. Remember, the Root Chakra is associated with rooting oneself in safety, trust, power, strength, and support. If you are feeling an imbalance in these emotions, working with your Root Chakra may bring balance so you can endure life’s ebbs and flows with grace.
May we suggest the following affirmations…
- I am safe in my body.
- I am exactly where I am meant to be.
- I am courageous. I am strong.
- I am here. I am now. I am safe.
- I have everything that I need.
- I am deeply supported and loved.
- I trust the process of my life.
How To Balance The Root Chakra?
Balancing the first of the seven chakras comes with support, trust and nourishment. As with all aspects of the chakras, balance comes from within and how we care for ourselves.
Are you feeling…
- Unable to ‘Trust Your Gut’
Try this to balance your Root Chakra…
- Incorporate yoga poses, suited to support your Root Chakra, into your meditation or yoga practice.
- Use affirmations of support and trust.
- Work with stones and crystals that support the Root Chakra, incorporating them into your journaling and meditation rituals.
- Nourish your body with cooked rich red colored fruits, veggies and warming spices.
- Mediate, focusing on the Root Chakra, feeling the support of Mother Earth beneath you, trusting that you are fully supported.
Root Chakra Foods
Since the Root Chakra vibrates on a red frequency, naturally red fruits, vegetables and spices complement this chakra's functions, supporting us in feeling grounded and strong. Foods, like red beets, sweet potatoes and carrots, that grow deep within the Earth or that are roots themselves also help to provide balance to the Root Chakra. Remember, the Root Chakra is about depth, grounding and feeling rooted. Think of foods beneath your feet!
Cooked red vegetables, red fruit, root vegetables and warming spices will do the trick!
The Root Chakra In Conclusion
In conclusion, it is not hard to feel when the Root Chakra is out of alignment, needing attention. To balance the Root Chakra it is vital to focus inwards, stay grounded, and connect with what is vital, focusing on life force, safety, trust and inner strength.
Allow your stones and crystals to guide and support you. Their wisdom speaks not in words, but in the divine connection they have to sacred roots.
“Intuition is seeing with the soul.” -Dean Koontz
For more about our Crystals make sure to sign up for our newsletter for when new blog posts come out! We’re on Instagram as @mercuryx_shop. Check out our posts to see additional photos and so many more videos of the crystals you love!